I Like That!

Monday, May 16, 2011

No Rain, No Rainbows!

The clouds have burst here in Santa Rosa (/Sebastopol).  It's raining.  After a month of solid rain in Ukiah I was done with drippy skies, but now after a little break, it was nice to see some moisture again and get to enjoy the sights:


Makes me think of this T-shirt my dad gave me one time after he came back from Hawaii on a business trip.  It had a bunch of really slick Hawaiian catch phrases on it--you know, really "hang loose", flip-flops-on-the-sand, Joe Cool style--the last of which has stuck with me for years:

No Rain, No Rainbows
I've thought about that from time to time, especially when I see rainbows streaming through the gloominess of an ashen, rain-washed sky.  It makes me grateful for the rainbows my Heavenly Father sends my way whenever it seems I can't hold on any longer or when the rains are going to wash me out.  I could go off about all the different "rainbow connections" (right, Kermit?), but I think I'll just leave you one more thought in this little snippet. 

We heard from an Apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ today, Elder Neil L. Andersen.  He talked a lot about our faith in Christ and how that can help us raise families and deal with the day-to-day.  I loved one thing in particular that he said about or lives here on Earth; he said, "We can't know everything about this life.  That's impossible!  we will never figure out every reason why bad [or good] things happen to us.  We will never have all the answers.  But that's because this is not our Heavenly Home.  We are here, away from our Father in Heaven, being tested and tried to see if we will be faithful, obedient, and true.  And if we have trust in God, no matter the outcomes, no matter the unanswered questions, we will be happy with Him forever in that Heavenly Home." 

I absolutely love that.  It rains a lot in our lives (like a spiritual Seattle!), and sometimes we even forget what the sun looks like.  But I can promise you God will send you rainbows.  He has for me.  Just look for them and you will find the splash of color against the dismal background of your trials.  I know that is true.  No rain, no rainbows!

Much Love,

Elder Spendlove

3 comments:

  1. You know what I love about rainbows? If you see a rainbow in front of you it means that the sun is right behind you.
    I like to think of that analogy when I am having personal trials and storms in my life, the Son is always right behind me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is more color in our lives than we think there is. It's lying unnotice majority of the time; just waiting for us to take a moment to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what I love about the rain? Dancing in it :)
    (Hermana Haslam)

    ReplyDelete

Labels

21 (1) 80s music (1) A Christian's Mormon Mission (2) act well thy part (1) acting (1) actor (1) Adam Ant (1) agency (3) Alice in Wonderland (1) answers (1) any dream will do (1) apostles (2) armor of god (1) Atonement (3) authority (1) banana split (1) baptism (4) be ye therefore perfect (1) beach (1) believer (1) bible (5) Big Bad wolf (1) biggest loser (1) Birdman (1) birthdays (1) bitter (1) blessings (2) blind (1) blind obedience (1) blog (2) body (1) boo boo (1) Book of Mormon (9) booyah (1) boyhood (1) buttercup (1) carry (1) cars (1) Carthage (1) challenges (2) change (3) Cheryl Crow (1) chiasmus (1) child (1) choice (2) Christ (5) Christians (1) Christmas (4) city (1) clean (1) clothes (1) come follow me (1) creative writing (12) darkness (1) David (1) dementors (1) desert (2) dessert (1) disciple (1) Disney (1) dragon (2) dragon slaying (1) drinking (1) easter (1) Elder Spendlove (1) Eternal Life (4) faith (2) families (1) family (3) FAQ Fridays (3) Fat (1) fat and sassy (1) Father (1) feast (1) Ferris Bueller (1) fight the good fight (1) focus (1) food (1) foundation (1) Franz (1) free will (2) friends (1) Frodo (1) FYI (1) geek out (1) general conference (2) gifts (1) God (6) Goody Two Shoes (1) gospel of Jesus Christ (1) Grinch (4) Guide (1) Hans (1) happiness (6) Harry Potter (1) He Lives (1) hear (1) Heavenly Father (8) help (4) hold on (2) Holland (1) Holy Ghost (1) home (1) hope (2) humility (1) I owe to my angel mother (1) ice cream (1) imagination (1) Indiana Jones (1) It's a Wonderful Life (1) Jehovah (1) Jesus (25) John (1) John 3:16 (1) John Taylor (1) Joseph of Egypt (3) Joseph Smith (6) journey (1) joy (3) kingdom (2) knights (2) lacrosse (1) ladder (1) lax (1) LDS (1) life (7) light (1) listen (1) literary device (1) little (1) living water (1) Lord of the Rings (1) love (9) marble (2) martyr (1) Master (4) math (1) Michaelangelo (1) minefield (1) minesweeper (1) miracles (2) missionary (2) Mormons (3) mother (1) mother poem (1) Mother's Day (1) mountains (2) Nehemiah (1) Nephi (2) new life (1) no rain no rainbows (1) Noise (1) number grid (1) numbers (1) octopus (1) Old Testament (1) opposition (1) path (1) patronus (1) peace (1) pearl (1) pearl of great price (4) perfection (2) Peter (1) plan of salvation (3) plane crash (1) Play (1) powers (1) prayer (1) pride (1) priesthood (2) priorities (1) problems (1) prophets (7) questions (1) rags to riches (1) rain (3) rain gutters (1) rainbow connection (1) rent a car (1) repentance (6) restoration (1) sacrifice (2) savior (3) service (1) shepherds (1) smell the roses (1) smoking (1) solutions (1) spiritual (1) storms (1) struggles (1) submit (1) sun (1) sweet (1) swimming (1) talents (1) testimony (2) thanksgiving (1) the claw (1) Thomas S Monson (1) time (1) time of your life (1) Toy story (1) Trials (3) try (2) twenty one (1) up (1) victory (1) voice (1) war (1) warmth (1) waterfall (1) whirlpool (1) why? (1) Word of Wisdom (1) words (1) work (1) work out (1)