I Like That!

Saturday, March 19, 2011

My Fam

You know, I've been having a lot of those familial feelings lately--you know, where you just feel super close to your family?  It's not that I'm necessarily homesick or that I cry myself to sleep every night or anything, it's just that I've been feeling a particular closeness to them, even though I'm so far away.  I know that probably doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but it's how I feel right now.

I know I've mentioned this before, but as a missionary I've seen a lot of families that have been broken by various things.  I am so grateful for a good, solid family built on the foundation of Christ and His teachings.  We are working closely with a small family who is trying to do what's right, get married, and build themselves on that foundation right now;  they are finding increased peace, direction, and understanding as they give their lives over to the Savior and try to do what He has asked them to do.  Maybe that's why I've got family on the brain?

Makes me think--have you ever felt those longings for our Heavenly home?  our Heavenly family?  I know I have.  I think that's why families are so deeply important to us as a human race (a "human family", as it were);  we are all God's family!  Our pictures are all on God's refrigerator!  We need to realize that God loves each one of us, no matter how badly we mess up.  That's why He sent our Big Brother, Jesus Christ, to suffer for all of His other children--so we can feel better when we mess up and get back to Him someday.

Our families are there to help us out.  Sure they come in different shapes and sizes, but that's what makes them uniquely ours.  But I know that more than that, we are all a big family.  So do something nice for one of your brothers or sisters you've forgotten.  People aren't "strangers".  They're our brothers and sisters.  My fam.

Much Love,

Elder Spendlove

PS Check out what the Mormon Church has to say about the family!  Let me know what you think!

2 comments:

  1. I totally know what you mean on both counts: feeling a deeper appreciation for my Earthly family, and a greater understanding of my human family. Missions do that, I think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elder C--
    Your family loves you SO much, and is so proud of you for the selfless work you are doing of bringing more of our spirit brothers and sisters to the Father.
    Sending love from you earthly home ;)

    Mom <3

    ReplyDelete

Labels

21 (1) 80s music (1) A Christian's Mormon Mission (2) act well thy part (1) acting (1) actor (1) Adam Ant (1) agency (3) Alice in Wonderland (1) answers (1) any dream will do (1) apostles (2) armor of god (1) Atonement (3) authority (1) banana split (1) baptism (4) be ye therefore perfect (1) beach (1) believer (1) bible (5) Big Bad wolf (1) biggest loser (1) Birdman (1) birthdays (1) bitter (1) blessings (2) blind (1) blind obedience (1) blog (2) body (1) boo boo (1) Book of Mormon (9) booyah (1) boyhood (1) buttercup (1) carry (1) cars (1) Carthage (1) challenges (2) change (3) Cheryl Crow (1) chiasmus (1) child (1) choice (2) Christ (5) Christians (1) Christmas (4) city (1) clean (1) clothes (1) come follow me (1) creative writing (12) darkness (1) David (1) dementors (1) desert (2) dessert (1) disciple (1) Disney (1) dragon (2) dragon slaying (1) drinking (1) easter (1) Elder Spendlove (1) Eternal Life (4) faith (2) families (1) family (3) FAQ Fridays (3) Fat (1) fat and sassy (1) Father (1) feast (1) Ferris Bueller (1) fight the good fight (1) focus (1) food (1) foundation (1) Franz (1) free will (2) friends (1) Frodo (1) FYI (1) geek out (1) general conference (2) gifts (1) God (6) Goody Two Shoes (1) gospel of Jesus Christ (1) Grinch (4) Guide (1) Hans (1) happiness (6) Harry Potter (1) He Lives (1) hear (1) Heavenly Father (8) help (4) hold on (2) Holland (1) Holy Ghost (1) home (1) hope (2) humility (1) I owe to my angel mother (1) ice cream (1) imagination (1) Indiana Jones (1) It's a Wonderful Life (1) Jehovah (1) Jesus (25) John (1) John 3:16 (1) John Taylor (1) Joseph of Egypt (3) Joseph Smith (6) journey (1) joy (3) kingdom (2) knights (2) lacrosse (1) ladder (1) lax (1) LDS (1) life (7) light (1) listen (1) literary device (1) little (1) living water (1) Lord of the Rings (1) love (9) marble (2) martyr (1) Master (4) math (1) Michaelangelo (1) minefield (1) minesweeper (1) miracles (2) missionary (2) Mormons (3) mother (1) mother poem (1) Mother's Day (1) mountains (2) Nehemiah (1) Nephi (2) new life (1) no rain no rainbows (1) Noise (1) number grid (1) numbers (1) octopus (1) Old Testament (1) opposition (1) path (1) patronus (1) peace (1) pearl (1) pearl of great price (4) perfection (2) Peter (1) plan of salvation (3) plane crash (1) Play (1) powers (1) prayer (1) pride (1) priesthood (2) priorities (1) problems (1) prophets (7) questions (1) rags to riches (1) rain (3) rain gutters (1) rainbow connection (1) rent a car (1) repentance (6) restoration (1) sacrifice (2) savior (3) service (1) shepherds (1) smell the roses (1) smoking (1) solutions (1) spiritual (1) storms (1) struggles (1) submit (1) sun (1) sweet (1) swimming (1) talents (1) testimony (2) thanksgiving (1) the claw (1) Thomas S Monson (1) time (1) time of your life (1) Toy story (1) Trials (3) try (2) twenty one (1) up (1) victory (1) voice (1) war (1) warmth (1) waterfall (1) whirlpool (1) why? (1) Word of Wisdom (1) words (1) work (1) work out (1)