I Like That!

Monday, October 18, 2010

"He Hath Filled Me with His Love..."

You know, sometimes life is just hard.  As a missionary, there are a lot of things that worry me and that can get in the way of my happiness.  Whether it's my personal weaknesses, the choices of others, or if it's just the way the cookie crumbles, I am (as I know all of you are) faced daily with things that are just not very fun to deal with.  Nephi, a Book of Mormon Prophet, felt similarly.  Even though he was a man of great faith and spirituality, a man whose relationship with his Father in Heaven could not be considered shallow, he exclaimed, "O wretched man that I am!...my soul grieveth because of mine iniquities.  I am encompassed about by the temptations and the sins which do so easily beset me.  And when I desire to rejoice, my heart groaneth because of my sins" (2 Nephi 4:17-19).  Do you ever feel like that?  Do you ever feel "encompassed about" by bad choices, whether yours or others', temptations, trials, or just the everyday beatings of life?  Yeah.  Me too.  But check out what Nephi says at the end of verse 19: "nevertheless, I know in whom I have trusted" (emphasis added).  Wow.  Isn't that great?  He knows in Whom he has trusted--his Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, the Savior.  Then he goes on to talk about all the great things the Lord has done for him (this is where I got the title of my blog--verse 21!),  giving one of the most beautiful testimonies/prayers of the heart in all of scripture.  I invite you to read the rest of this chapter; it's so powerful.  I know that your Father in Heaven will answer your prayers and your yearnings too.  Even though life is really hard sometimes and you just want to throw in the towel, remember that there is One Who suffered for not just your sins, but your pains, weaknesses, sadnesses, heartaches, and insecurities (see also Alma 7:11-13 in the Book of Mormon and Isaiah 53:3-5 in the Old Testament).  Jesus Christ knows how you feel.  He has felt the sorrows of your heart.  And guess what--He wants you to run to Him. 

"Awake my soul!  No longer droop in sin.  Rejoice, O my heart, and give place no more for the enemy of my peace." (v. 28)  I hope that this post has helped any of you who are feeling down.  I know that whenever I feel depressed, I can turn to my Savior, Who picks me up and helps me get going again.  And the best part about it is we have all of the answers to the deep, yearning questions of our souls in the scriptures.  The Bible, the Book of Mormon, and the words of modern-day prophets are all there so we can know of the promises the Lord has given us if we follow Him.  You can follow Him too. 

Have you had any "questions of the soul" you can't seem to get answered?  Comment below and I'll do my best to answer them from the scriptures.  And keep in mind that sometimes personal questions take time, faith, and lots of prayer and study of the scriptures to answer--I will do my best to point you in the right direction.  I can testify in the name of the Author of all peace, Jesus Christ, that there is peace to be found, there are answers to be had.  Have faith and seek diligently, "for every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened" (Matthew 7:8).

MUCH LOVE,

Elder Spendlove

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing that. I'm posting it on my FB page. Hopefully that will help someone else!

    Keep the faith!

    ReplyDelete

Labels

21 (1) 80s music (1) A Christian's Mormon Mission (2) act well thy part (1) acting (1) actor (1) Adam Ant (1) agency (3) Alice in Wonderland (1) answers (1) any dream will do (1) apostles (2) armor of god (1) Atonement (3) authority (1) banana split (1) baptism (4) be ye therefore perfect (1) beach (1) believer (1) bible (5) Big Bad wolf (1) biggest loser (1) Birdman (1) birthdays (1) bitter (1) blessings (2) blind (1) blind obedience (1) blog (2) body (1) boo boo (1) Book of Mormon (9) booyah (1) boyhood (1) buttercup (1) carry (1) cars (1) Carthage (1) challenges (2) change (3) Cheryl Crow (1) chiasmus (1) child (1) choice (2) Christ (5) Christians (1) Christmas (4) city (1) clean (1) clothes (1) come follow me (1) creative writing (12) darkness (1) David (1) dementors (1) desert (2) dessert (1) disciple (1) Disney (1) dragon (2) dragon slaying (1) drinking (1) easter (1) Elder Spendlove (1) Eternal Life (4) faith (2) families (1) family (3) FAQ Fridays (3) Fat (1) fat and sassy (1) Father (1) feast (1) Ferris Bueller (1) fight the good fight (1) focus (1) food (1) foundation (1) Franz (1) free will (2) friends (1) Frodo (1) FYI (1) geek out (1) general conference (2) gifts (1) God (6) Goody Two Shoes (1) gospel of Jesus Christ (1) Grinch (4) Guide (1) Hans (1) happiness (6) Harry Potter (1) He Lives (1) hear (1) Heavenly Father (8) help (4) hold on (2) Holland (1) Holy Ghost (1) home (1) hope (2) humility (1) I owe to my angel mother (1) ice cream (1) imagination (1) Indiana Jones (1) It's a Wonderful Life (1) Jehovah (1) Jesus (25) John (1) John 3:16 (1) John Taylor (1) Joseph of Egypt (3) Joseph Smith (6) journey (1) joy (3) kingdom (2) knights (2) lacrosse (1) ladder (1) lax (1) LDS (1) life (7) light (1) listen (1) literary device (1) little (1) living water (1) Lord of the Rings (1) love (9) marble (2) martyr (1) Master (4) math (1) Michaelangelo (1) minefield (1) minesweeper (1) miracles (2) missionary (2) Mormons (3) mother (1) mother poem (1) Mother's Day (1) mountains (2) Nehemiah (1) Nephi (2) new life (1) no rain no rainbows (1) Noise (1) number grid (1) numbers (1) octopus (1) Old Testament (1) opposition (1) path (1) patronus (1) peace (1) pearl (1) pearl of great price (4) perfection (2) Peter (1) plan of salvation (3) plane crash (1) Play (1) powers (1) prayer (1) pride (1) priesthood (2) priorities (1) problems (1) prophets (7) questions (1) rags to riches (1) rain (3) rain gutters (1) rainbow connection (1) rent a car (1) repentance (6) restoration (1) sacrifice (2) savior (3) service (1) shepherds (1) smell the roses (1) smoking (1) solutions (1) spiritual (1) storms (1) struggles (1) submit (1) sun (1) sweet (1) swimming (1) talents (1) testimony (2) thanksgiving (1) the claw (1) Thomas S Monson (1) time (1) time of your life (1) Toy story (1) Trials (3) try (2) twenty one (1) up (1) victory (1) voice (1) war (1) warmth (1) waterfall (1) whirlpool (1) why? (1) Word of Wisdom (1) words (1) work (1) work out (1)